Everything You Wanted To Know About Paid YouTube Subscriptions
Doesn’t it feel good when you are provided with special treatment—every feature and service exclusively made keeping in mind your needs and desires? Truth be told, we all dream of availing of those premium services in life that are custom-made just for us, be it a motor vehicle, a house, or clothing.
Well, in the case of the applications, we have now entered a new era where these apps are also developed keeping in mind the needs of the users. Yes, of course, everything comes at a price, but the price you pay can ensure that you experience the best of all the worlds. However, it might take time for us to get used to paid apps. This is because we have had a habit of using most of them for free.
Are Free Apps Really Free?
But are free apps really devoid of any cost? A lot of tech-savvy people believe that when a piece of technology is shared for free, it definitely has a catch. The developers always find a way to generate revenue from such apps. For example, developers build apps and release them on the PlayStore for a minimum charge of 25 dollars, which is comparatively lower than other platforms. Next, they place ads in their Android apps with the help of tools like AdSense. That said, there are different types of advertisements which can be chosen according to the requirements of the developers. Once the ads are configured and the app is live on PlayStore, you can start generating revenue for your application.
However, the money factor is dependent on the user factor. The more users you have, the greater amount of revenue you can generate. The issue with free apps with a huge number of ads is that those developers may not be concerned about the user experience. So, you might end up getting no response when you report a bug or request a new feature of the app.
Are Paid Apps Better?
In the case of paid apps, you might experience a different scenario. Paid apps ensure that the developer is serious about user experience. This means the developer will consider your feedback and will try to provide a solution for the bugs that you have reported. They would possibly introduce new features in the future. Additionally, it is important to understand when developers receive payments for their apps, they do not throw a bunch of unnecessary ads to the users. Paid content, therefore, ensures that you end up getting an ad-free and smooth user experience.
What is YouTube Premium?
That is why many of us prefer YouTube Premium. The Google-owned service had recently announced new features that can help creators to make money on this platform. Are you still wondering what YouTube Premium is? To begin, it is a monthly, paid YouTube subscriptions services offered by the company to improve the viewing experience of users on this platform. Being the largest video platform on the Internet, YouTube had come up with this idea to treat their customers with premium-quality features. For example, it offers YouTube Subscribers offline video streaming, ad-free viewing, and paywalled content made exclusively by popular YouTube celebrities. Previously, these features were only available to creators who got sponsored by users. For U.S. subscribers, it currently costs $11.99 a month, and this includes a YouTube Music Premium subscription.
A report by CNBC states that YouTube has partnered with Teespring, a custom merchandise company, to allow creators to sell their merchandise through this platform. This is definitely a treat for all those creators who wish to make YouTube their full-time job. Earlier, creators had to add links and ask subscribers to buy their merchandise.
In addition to this, YouTube Premium includes “Premieres”, which is a new live streaming feature. It enables creators to pre-record videos and upload them as live stream videos. Moreover, those watching the live stream can pay the creator to get their comment noticed through the feature called Super Chat. However, super chat is already present on the platform and acts just as a bonus in the premium version of the app.
If you thought it’s the end of the list, then you might be mistaken because there are a host of other features to consider.
- Gone are the days when ads were a part of our lives. We do not want to see any more mobile phone companies persuading us to buy a camera phone that can make a chimpanzee look like a mermaid. With YouTube paid subscriptions, you can now enjoy your video watching sessions free from the interruption of ads.
- As discussed earlier, you also get to see exclusive content from high-profile YouTubers. You can access original YouTube content along with some movies, documentaries, and TV shows.
- Background play is another feature that can win your heart. Why, you ask? Suppose you on watching a video on this platform. But you close the app mistakenly. In YouTube Premium, the audio of the video will continue to play even if the app is closed. Moreover, if you are an Android user, then you can also view videos picture-in-picture if you are using other apps.
Wait, this is not the end of the list. We still have three more features to discuss.
- A lot of us have been waiting for the feature to download playlists or videos to watch offline on our gadgets. In its premium version, YouTube has ensured that we get all that we desire. As a bonus, you can download music and listen to it while you are offline. Not to forget that background play is also available.
- We also have YouTube Music premium, which adds to our musical experience by offering higher bitrate audios. Additionally, if you are travelling and have allowed the app to use your location data, it can play location-specific music for you. For example, if you are at the gym, you will be switched to a workout playlist. Brilliant, isn’t it?
- Besides these, the paid subscription services have ensured that everybody is contributing to the creators. The ad-free feature prevents creators from earning advertisement revenue. However, Premium ensures that both viewers and creators are benefitted from its new offers. While users enjoy the ad-free content, they still contribute to their favourite YouTube creator with the help of YouTube Views. Growth of creators, therefore, is promoted by the premium services offered by the platform.
Why so Many Features?
According to CNBC, a lot of YouTube channels are facing demonetization issues concerning their content. The strict “advertiser-friendly rules make it harder for creators to host adverts on their videos. After facing backlash regarding this, YouTube has finally decided to make a move that would support creators. Moreover, creators were also believed to be facing restricted access to the advertising revenue, which is why many of them started using Patreon, a subscription company. Hence, it was YouTube vs Patreon in a competition for gaining and retaining customers.
How to Subscribe?
Are you wondering how to subscribe to YouTube premium? Well, you need not worry because the method is simple and easy. Upon opening the YouTube app, you will notice a symbol that reads the sign to your Google account. Choose your preferred Google account to start your membership and tap on the profile picture. If you are eligible, you can also start your free trial. Otherwise, you can tap on YouTube premium.
You can also make the necessary changes to the channels you have subscribed to. You can either change it to public or private. For that, you can simply click your profile picture and click settings which will show you an option called Privacy. According to your preference, tick the box for Keep all my subscriptions private and save the changes. If you desire, you can also earn money with the channel memberships that are offered by this application. To begin, you need 1000 subscribers.
To conclude, I would say that, with the advancement of technology, we are reaching a new level of perfection. Take, for example, apps like YouTube. The app ensures that users can get maximum benefits from its services. As a result, the creativity of creators and engagement of users has skyrocketed. Be it the exclusive content viewing or background play, YouTube has ensured that it never loses on its customers again. To be honest, this appears to be a good move. In this fast-evolving competitive world, it is necessary to provide customers with something unique. If you have noticed kids playing with toys, you would see that they get bored easily. That is why they demand newer more advanced toys after every 2 months.
Likewise, adults get bored by using the same application with old features. Either the app needs to be developed further according to the rising demands of the customers, or users will switch to something else. Therefore, companies like YouTube, need to come up with more engaging options that can retain the attention of users for a longer period. Besides this, it is also important for YouTube and similar apps to understand that every generation is more advanced than the previous one. Hence, upgrading features alone cannot ensure customer loyalty. Real YouTube Subscribers want real and unique content. Therefore, platforms need to come with unique ideas (concepts like automatically switching to location-specific music) that can grab the attention of users.
Also on SubPals
Common Qualities of Successful YouTube Channels
It’s been 15 years since YouTube was launched back in February 2005. It has come a long way since then, from being a new website with a handful of random home videos to the biggest…
Simple but Effective YouTube Collaboration Ideas
Content creators on YouTube have been teaming up for successful collaborations since the platform’s inception, and the trend has grown more than ever before in recent years. If you have a YouTube channel and want…
Your Guide to Vlogging on YouTube
A vlog or a video blog allows content creators to use the medium of video to discuss things that they would otherwise do through a blog post. Vlogs may be in the style of a:…